Three regional offices (including both Nassau and Suffolk) and one local union office were the subjects of attempted stings on Tuesday sponsored by Project Veritas. As you may recall, Project Veritas produces secretly recorded undercover audio and video encounters with leaders and workers in public sector unions and various academic, governmental and social service organizations, purporting to expose allegedly abusive or illegal behavior by employees and/or representatives of those organizations. In an effort to make unions look bad, they selectively edit videos to take comments out of context and create the false impression that people said or did things they did not actually say or do.
In order to protect yourself and your members against these dishonest sting operations, please regularly practice the following safety procedures at all union meetings and events, both formal and informal:
● Be alert to suspicious behavior or encounters in private and public settings.
● Report any suspicious behavior or encounters to your LRS.
● When solicited for advice or counsel, always make sure you know the identity of the person you are talking to. Verify membership if the person soliciting your help or advice is not known to you
● If you have your own union office, be sure any staff person working there is aware of these procedures.
● Always assume that someone may be recording a conversation with you and remain professional in all of your responses.
● End conversations that make you uncomfortable or suspicious.
● Post signs at all union events stating: Members Only. Making recordings without the authorization of the union is not permitted. Make everyone show a badge or ID to enter.
● Remind members to be cautious when having conversations people they do not know in public settings like coffees shops or bars.
Regional Staff Director, Nassau
Office Tel: (516) 496-2035
Mobile: (516) 319-7065
Fax: (516) 921-2964
BE the union! www.nysut.org/unionvalue